Friday, January 2, 2015

...pronto volveras a visitar tu tierra (soon you will return to visit your land)

received an email from Cuba recently.  My young friend's words stuck in my mind: "...soon you will return to your land."  It set me to thinking about my cultural ambivalence: am I a Cuban or an American?  I am bicultural: both Cuban and American.  Neither of the two roots that have grown in each culture have been uprooted. It makes for a complicated life, but a rich one as well. For many years I have been navigating the adjustments required of me in my adopted land. It's curious that after more than fifty years, the adjustment will now flow the other way!  This is one of several concerns that have grown within me in the past few months and even years. This trip has heightened them, but with the help of fellow believers, these concerns have not overwhelmed me. Perhaps it is also helpful that I will be connecting with Christ-followers in Cuba. That special bond between us is undeniable, even if we do not know each other. I know they will extend grace to me as much as I would to them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment