Monday, December 29, 2014

The Self and Confidence

My friend Mark invited me to his church yesterday.  It was a great experience: friendly people, good sermon and a prayer time at the end that changed my outlook tremendously.  Check it out at:


At the end of the service, Mark encouraged me to go to the front and ask for prayer.  I didn't know what to expect, but he eased my apprehension by accompanying me with his wife Hiroko.  I met a man by the name of Michael who was very friendly.  He asked how he could pray for me.  I told him about my trip to Cuba and what I was expected to do and that I was a bit unnerved by it all and needed some prayer.  He held my hand and said with a firm tone that I was not going over there to present on my own, but that Christ was going to work through me.  I immediately understood that my ego was getting in the way.  I was selfishly thinking of what a fool I would make of myself because I lacked skill or preparation.  But I was usurping God in the process.  It wasn't about me at all!  It was about Christ doing things through me.  This realization put me at ease instantly.

I know I have to prepare and strive for excellence.  But I don't have to fret about being perfect because Christ will be there communicating through me.  I guess I had forgotten a bible verse I had memorized many years ago in my early years as a Christ follower: 
Philippians 4:6-7New King James Version (NKJV)
 Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

How could I forget?  How could I continue through life without applying that incredibly powerful truth? Peace that surpasses all understanding...what a fantastic offer!  I'm all set now!  Let's go!


1 comment:

  1. You have such an interesting blog. Thanks for sharing, I enjoyed reading your posts. All the best for your future blogging journey.

    ReplyDelete